Monday, August 31, 2015

Post Ironman Blues

What happens when you spend all of your "free time" training for an event, then cross the finish line? The easy answer is "You have lots of free time!"  In the world of endurance sports, the post race/event/season blues are common.  Without the structured training plans and looming race to keep things on task, there seems to be something missing.

The first month was great!  I was able to catch back up on many things I had set aside during training.  My plan was to take the first month "off" of my training plan, then pick up in solid form on my biathlon training.  Mother nature had other plans! As the winter drug on without any snow, so did the post IM blues!  This is the first season that I did not participate in a single biathlon or skiing race!

How do you overcome the lack of direction? Start training of course!

January I jumped into my first indoor tri @ the YMCA.  By mid January, I was starting to map out my race schedule for 2015.  February & March saw more indoor events.  After the indoor tri in March, I joined 3 brave souls in the last couple rides toward their Sufferlandian Knighthood.

While the winter has been "uneventful", I am looking forward to the 2015 season!  One of the most difficult decisions was how was I going to follow up an Ironman season?  I have decided to keep my distances a little longer. My plan has NO sprint distance events on it this season (only because Tri for a Cause was cancelled for 2015).  There will be two 70.3 events and multiple Olympic events instead.  I will only be returning to the UMM Tinman Olympic & Liberty's Long Course (70.3) this year.  I will also be partaking in the Graniteman Olympic Series (new event) consisting of Olympic Distance events at Buffalo (new for me), Clearwater (new distance at a previous event), and Big Lake (new distance for the event also new event to).  2015 will also end for me at Ironman Wisconsin...but this time I will be volunteering & cheering on many friends as they take on that challenge.

Stay tuned as the season starts to warm up & get underway!

Enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment