Monday, August 31, 2015

2015 UMM Tinman Triathlon Race Report

UMM Tinman Race Report
April 25, 2015

Pre race: Finished rounding up all of my race stuff from its winter hiding places.  With Ironman as my last event, some of my gear had been in storage for a while (Since T4C in July)! I packed gear bags, then had an early bed time.  Unfortunately, Camp Ripley thought it was a great night to shoot the big guns all night long!  Got up about at 04:00.  Normal pre-race routine.  I was out the door by 04:45.  As I headed out to the car, I was thinking what great weather it was turning out to be! 
I arrived at the U of MN Morris at 07:00 to quickly grab a transition spot.  Unlike home, it was overcast, cool & windy.  Winds were a mere 15 mph.  I got things set up, got checked in & body marked.  A quick warm up & bike check then off to the pre-race meeting.  The field was smaller this year, which I feel is going to be a trend in many local races.  Many of the familiar faces from this event were missing.  The Olympic distance seemed to be the most affected. 

1100 Swim Time Estimated: 16:30  Actual: 15:36
We were seeded by estimated swim time with 3 per lane.  The entire Olympic field started in the same heat. I was the slowest anticipated pace of my lane, so took up the rear.  It was a relaxed swim while sitting in the draft. Around 500 yards, the lead swimmer started to pull off the front/ #2 started top fall back.  I tapped his toes & passed on the next turn.  #1 was a little too far ahead to get back in the draft by the time I was in the #2 position.  At about 750 yards, I felt a toe tap. At the wall, I moved out of the way to let the pass happen.  As soon as I pulled up, He lifted his head & told me to go (incidental contact).  A large leap out of the lane with the assistance of the starting block & run to transition.  I hit the wrong buttons on my watch, so my data is off from the swim.  It felt great!

T1 Time Estimated: 0:40  Actual: 0:28 (Fastest T1!)
I had my jacket on the starting block during the swim, so was putting it on as I ran out the door.  I had a great (fast & organized) T1.  

19 Mile Bike Estimated Time: 1:00:00  Actual: 1:01:37
My flying mount was a little hindered by the slight uphill exit from transition, but it worked.  I had placed my gloves over the bar end shifters & got them on in the first mile or so.  The wind was direct out of the east at 15+ mph.  Good thing the road went straight east!  I tried to just grind it out, maintain my HR & cadence, & not look at my speed on the out leg.  At the turn I was averaging around 15.5 mph!  On the plus side, I had been passed by only one at the turn!  Good news was that the return leg had a fantastic tailwind! I held my own & came into T2 in 3rd overall!

T2 Time Estimated:  1:00   Actual: 0:32 (Second Fastest of the day)
There is a slight downhill into the transition, so I used caution coming in & had a great flying dismount!  I had some difficulty getting my helmet off – it is a little tougher to do when your fingers are numb!

6.2 Mile Run Estimated: 57:00   Actual: 57:52
Wind was again just a “light breeze” from the east (put your head down & push on).  I was in uncharted territory for me.  I was about a mile out of 1/2nd & was better than 0.5 miles ahead of 4th. The first mile was hard on the legs I couldn’t feel my toes until about mile 1.5.  After getting my running legs & feet back, I was feeling good. My race plan was to go out of my comfort zone & push out of my comfort zone on the run.  I have done very little running since September 7th.  As I left T2, my plan changed a little.  I was going to be the guy from the Boston Marathon that lead the first mile of the race.  I was going to go hard for as long as I could.  I got caught around the mile mark & again just shy of three.  At that time I was still holding my pace… not sub 7 pace though! At about mile 4, I cracked.  The last two miles were painful, but I kept trying to push my limits.

Finish Time Estimated: 2:15:00  Actual: 2:16:03   (2 Seconds slower than my PR!)

Recap: - This was a good early season race.  
-I was able to pull off a 7th OA, 6th Male, 3rd AG

-Plan your race, race your plan! Pick something to focus on & go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment