Saturday, June 4, 2016

UMM Tinman 2016

UMM Tinman Race Report
April 30, 2016

Pre race: The first race of the season always finds me rifling through the house trying to find where I stored those last few items I haven't used in 6 months.  I put two fresh air fresheners in the car.  Like any "Type A" triathlete, I scoped out the list of registrations.  The crowd was not huge, but a few familiar names on the list.  Based on my best estimates, I should finish fifth or sixth overall. I should have one of the faster swims, should be able to hold or maybe even come off the bike first, then get passed a few miles into the run.  I have been swimming and biking, but had a total of 2 miles running in April due to a knee issue. It would be a fun day...If the knee was not good, I would live another day.

I arrived at the U of MN Morris at 07:00 to quickly grab a transition spot.  I got things set up, got checked in & body marked.  It was then time to catch up with some familiar faces! A quick warm up & bike check then off to the pre-race meeting.  The field was smaller than registered. In most races, it probably wouldn't have been noticeable, but with an already small field it was noticed! 

1100 Swim Time Estimated: 15:30  Actual: 15:55 (15:18 on my Garmin for actual swim)
We were seeded by estimated swim time with 2-3 per lane.  The entire Olympic field started in the first heat. It was a relaxed swim.  As I hopped out, I tried to pull the cord on my swim skin and had some issues. I wanted my jacket on before I headed outside! I sat on the pool deck for about 25 seconds before getting things undone, grabbed my jacket, and was on my way!  I was at least a lap ahead when I hit the pool deck!

T1 Time Estimated: 0:40  Actual: 0:36 (Fastest of the day)
I had my jacket on the starting block during the swim, so was putting it on as I ran out the door.  I had a great (fast & organized) T1.  As I was heading to bike out, the second competitor was getting to their transition spot.

19 Mile Bike Estimated Time: 1:00:00  Actual: 1:02:20 (Fastest of the day)
My flying mount was a little hindered by the slight uphill exit from transition, but it worked.  I fumbled getting my shoes on, but eventually got situated.  I had placed my gloves over the bar end shifters & got them on in the first mile or so.  The wind was direct out of the east/northeast at 20+ mph.  I tried to just grind it out, maintain my Power,HR & cadence, & not look at my speed on the out leg.  At the turn I was having a disappointing averaging around 13 mph!  Good news was that the return leg had a fantastic tailwind! Same thing on the way home, Power, Cadence & HR were what I focused on (I may have peeked at the speed to see 37mph). I was amazed that I was a mile into the return leg before I saw the next athlete! Mike McConkey and I had just had a conversation about blowing up the bike and see what happens.  When I saw the lead, I had to go for it!  I was going to get passed on the run anyway, might as well make them earn it!

T2 Time Estimated:  1:00   Actual: 0:56 (Third Fastest of the day)
There is a slight downhill into the transition, so I used caution coming in & had a great flying dismount!  Before the race, I decided to wear socks during the run (something I usually haven't done). I struggled with the socks with gloves on.  Once I lost the gloves, things went fine!   

6.2 Mile Run Estimated: 57:00   Actual: 55:10
Wind was again just a “light breeze” from the east (put your head down & grind).  I was in uncharted territory for me.  I was about 3/4 mile out  before I saw #2. I was feeling good, but was just waiting for the knee pain to kick in. My knee was taped and I was prepared to back off as needed.
Sheena has caught me the past few years around mile 2, so I was just waiting for the footsteps! Mile 3, I was still on my own. I just wanted to stop and puke, but I remembered a picture of Michelle's feet after her IMWI victory followed by World's the following week.  Her voice was echoing in my head.  I couldn't stop! As I was coming into 4.5 miles, I looked back and saw someone closing fast.  When they passed, it was a relay team.  As the course rejoined the sprint course, I started picking off runners. Entering the track for the final 300 meters, I glanced back and only saw the sprinters I had just passed. As I came around the corner, there were footsteps. As Paul came beside me, I recognized the number as an Olympic distance.  Less than 150 meters to go and this was now going to be a race!  I tried to hold on to make a final sprint surge.  I had nothing left! 4 seconds separated me from the top of the podium! I do not say that disappointed.  I was that close to the top step, I ran MY race...and I "knew" was going to finish 5th (by all of my calculations).

Finish Time Estimated: 2:15:00  Actual: 2:14:55   (A New PR!)



Recap: - This was a good early season race.
-I was able to pull off a 2nd OA, 2nd Male, 1st AG
-Fastest Swim, T1, Bike of the day
-Always question what you "know"
-The only thing that you can control in a race is you!  When you set your goals, don't set them based of other competitors, base them off of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment